Pages

Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Giants and Gnomes on the Workbench

Hello Old School Miniature fans, 
We've got a brief update on the sculpting of the stretch goals. I've fallen a bit behind, I got side tracked by family events around Christmas and was out of town for a couple weeks. But I have been back at it the last few days. 

First up, is the female giant. I have made considerable progress on her. I think the next big thing will be mounting her head and giving her some scaled knicknacks. What I mean by this latter category are human or gnome sized objects that will inform on her giant scale. What sorts of bits and bobs do you think will accomplish this best? Let know what you think in the comments. :)



Next up, we have the giant. I have been making progress on the giant, but I had a step backwards when I realized that the two previous heads were simply too big, so I have recreated the original set but scaled down to fit the body better. I've been going for bigger ears on the giant to play off of the BFG aesthetic. The ears need some work though. 



Next we have the start of the long hats. I've had a minor change in aesthetic for them from my original plans. The original plan was that they would be more along the lines of feudal knights circa 1200-ish. But I've decided on a a more 1400's look that I think fits with the 80's aesthetic more. This means that they will have armor that is a mix between the original Ruglud's armored orcs - chainmail, with some simple plating, and gloves - and the Ulther's dragon company - they will have sallet helmets like the gnomish spearmen we already produce, but with visors. And, instead of the ankle length tabards I had planned, they will have waist-length tabards like late medieval knights, which will mirror the aesthetic of the other gnomes' tunics. I think that this redesign with the simple plate armor and revealing their skinny legs might also make them seem to hearken to the dwarves in the old hobbit cartoon. 

They still have much work to be done. They will need swords, gloves, tabards, belts, faces, beards, hats, helmets and visors. As I finish up the giants I'll be able to shift to sculpting more gnomes at once. 





Finally, there is the new shield. These elder gnomes also get their own shield pattern. This shield pattern is designed to be broader and provide more protection, to imply that these geriatric gnomes will stick around. The old shield was inspired by the lego forestmen shield. This new one borrows from some of the zelda shield designs but keeps the corner whatchadoodles so imply a shared material culture or continuity between the designs. 


6 comments:

  1. Hello Byron
    Looking good, particularly the female giant! The long skirt and stance reminds me a little of a samurai! On the subject of female giant knick-knacks, I like the idea that the giants might have received small delicate items created by their gnome friends, so maybe a small bag with a long strap with an embroidered squirrel or even a gnome on it? Maybe a tankard strapped to her belt? What about a garland of flowers? Giants might also put human or gnome sized items to novel uses. What about a ball of wool and arrows for knitting needles? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
    JeeEff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dig all of Jeff's ideas, with the knitting needles, and the tankard. I think I'd probably elaborate on those themes, either by adding more fabric features like a shawl or headscarf, or by adding more snacks that the giantess can nosh in battle, assuming giants have crazy metabolisms. Maybe a picnic basket, or a spare goose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big floppy gnomish felt hat, except she's using it as a sack to fill with baguettes and a stick of cured meat the size of a man's leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Size of a man's leg? or just a man's leg? :P

      Delete
    2. A traditional giant would be a man's leg, but you're going for a friendlier type of giant. The idea would be that she's been paid for her services with a hat made by her gnome friends, but she just uses it as a sack (because she's still a giant!).

      Delete