Pages

Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Giants and Gnomes on the Workbench 02

Hello OS Mini Fans,
I have a quick workbench update. I have been making progress on the giants. Progress has slowed ont the giants as they get finalized and I have started the final of the Old Keebler Guard (Long Hats, I am still trying to pin down a good name.) I have all 9 of the keebler guard currently in the works. 


This is a pic of the female giant. I have a few minor additions to make, then I will transition to making scalable knicknacks. Comments and feedback on her appearance are welcome. I really do listen to ideas and appreciate feedback. 

Next, we have the male giant. I had to resculpt the first set of heads that I made since they came out much too big. The next step for the giant is adding patches and transitioning to making scalable knicknacks. If you have ideas for trinkets for the male giant to make him look big I'd love to hear them or comments on his appearance. I got some great feedback on my previous post about the female giant. (Also the foundry paint and mini are just there to prop him up and for scale comparison and do not connote any endorsement or suppose by Foundry.) I wanted this giant to be a bit different from other giants. Since he is meant to be an ally of the gnomes I wanted him to appear friendly and kindly instead of the typical brutish and mean-spirited. That's why I chose to make him smiling with a more carefree pose. Also, you may notice that he is about 50mm tall. This makes him on the short end for giant models, but it makes him appropriately scaled to stand next to old giant miniatures from the 80's (which OS minis has another sculptor working on at the moment!)



These are pics of some of the long hats that are coming along. they still have some work left to do. They need noses, hats, helmets, visors, guards, elbow armor, and pommels. They have long flowing beards to indicate their age. They will have corresponding long hats. Their swords are slightly longer than the short swords wielded by other gnomes in our range suggesting that they come from a previous time when swords were more important than halberds and pikes. Overall, they are meant to have a sorta knightly vibe while borrowing from the culture and clothing styles of our other gnomes. Consistent material culture is important for making the range appear coherent. 

The command for the long hats is meant to convey a sense of experienced competency and calmness as they advance. Imagine the french Old Guard. This is meant to convey the narrative that these gnomes are old veterans who have fought many battles and that this is not their first rodeo. They know what to expect. Unlike our other gnomes this unit will feature a drummer for a musician. The standard bearer will be in an advancing pose but laid back. 

Two things I could use feedback on!

What should go on top of the standard? I was thinking of making it a Schwurhand to evoke their sense of loyalty and steadfastness and continue drawing from Swiss medieval history. The gesture is used by the Swiss going back centuries when they swear legal and governmental oaths including imagery depicting the foundation of the Swiss confederation. But I also get this is a bit of a niche reference. What are other ideas? Perhaps another animal?

Also, the unit leader pose for the longhats has been tricky. I'd like a pose that suggests a kind of determined nonchalance but am just scratching my head. So far I have him posed like our guildmaster model but right handed. Ideas?




6 comments:

  1. Helen here Byron, Lovely work on the giants and gnomes. We are close to the bush fires so we are a little distracted at the moment. I was thinking for trinkets on the female giant a wheel for the spinning loom. Perhaps a pelt or fleece from some dead animal hanging from a belt. For the make giant perhaps a bolas hanging from the belt to bring down thy enemy etc

    A mail gauntlet as a top to the standard as a suggestion. For an animal standard top perhaps as an idea a cockerel to reflect their status. I imagine they could be "cocks of the walk" please excuse the pun. Hopefully some feathers to add colour to their outfits.

    Just some thoughts. Thank you for sharing your workbench.

    Cheers,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the gauntlet and Rooster idea :) Rooster might be a bit halfling-y but I'll play around with it.

      Dead animals are always good pay for a giant! :)

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Byron, the Giants are coming on nicely and I love the moustache-twirling gnome!
    Male giant knicknacks - how about a medallion/necklace made from horse shoes? Or perhaps, as he looks rather rural, a human scale clay cider bottle or two hanging from his belt?
    The Standard - I had never heard of the Schwurhand before but I really like it. It symbolises honour and tradition, but is also something of an anachronism when compared to other gnome units. If you do go for an animal I suggest a tortoise. They can be very old and wrinkly, they are not fast, but they are undeniably tough!
    Determined nonchalance - How about resting the blade of his sword on his shoulder and studying the finger nails of his left hand? Or resting his right hand on the end of the pommel with the tip of the blade in the ground (like a walking stick) with his left hand on his hip?
    JeeEff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the horseshoe necklace idea. :) Writing that one down!

      The tricky bit with the pose is that I am sculpting the command as if they are advancing. Many of the unit's poses are advancing or fighting, so they should convey that they are ready to get stuck in. I had toyed with the idea of both hands on a pommel and sword in the ground, another smoking a pipe, and a third idea as perhaps a learned elder with a cane stroking his beard. But none of those quite fit the bill for someone advancing. It's a tricky characterization for a walking pose. :/ - I am thinking of a more determined napoleonic officer pose, advancing, sword raised, visor up, and perhaps a scar on his eye, some plumage, or a more intricate visor.

      Delete
    2. I see, yes it is a tricky one! How about (for maximum nonchalance) strolling forward with his sword still in its scabbard, his left hand resting casually on the pommel, while airily signalling the advance with his right hand?
      Or perhaps (for more low key determination) striding forward with his sword unsheathed but with the point of the blade held low? Less flamboyant than waving it above your head, but more business-like!
      JeeEff

      Delete