Pages

Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Giants on the Workbench 02

Progress on the giants!

The giant will have two head variants.

First up the progress on the first head! Going along with the traditional fantasy trope, my giants' faces are caricaturish. This head was supposed to have a classic ogre-ish vibe, oafish. So wide square jaw, strong cheeks. Also his is happy to match the pose of the giant's body. I got pretty frustrated with use of the clay - it worked well of the faces, but gave me all manner of frustration on the bodies, after a certain point I was just fighting against myself, so you will notice that the next steps show a jump from clay to adding green stuff.





Up next! The second head. This head is meant to have a more BFG vibe. A narrower face and more thoughtful look. Clean shaven to suggest he has mild aesthetic sensibilities. Like the other giant he has a happy expression to match the pose of the body. For this face I soon realized that the face was too gaunt and didn't match with the paunch of the giant's body, so I had to add jowls.






Next up, we have the giant's body. From the previous post, the body lost a lot of heft, it was slimmed down to make the giant more lanky. I have since started adding on Green Stuff to do the detail work. I've added hands, shoes, and have added in the edges of the cloth so far. The rest of the model's cloths will get filled in soon.





Right now, I am not proud of the progress on the female giant. Much of the clay fell off when it was fired and that work needs to be done. I am disheartened on the female giant.... I'll post pics eventually when I feel more satisfied with my progress. Her pose is more aggressive than the male giant, so it isn't as characterful or evocative for me. Much less good. :/

1 comment:

  1. Love the faces Byron, well done. The body is looking good too.

    ReplyDelete