Pages

Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Giants on the Workbench 01

I decided to sculpt two giants. A man and woman giant. This will be a big of a learning experience for me as I have never sculpted anything bigger than a man before. So far I have created a wire frame, put a layer of green stuff around it and have started building up clay. 
Male giant before clay

female giant before clay
Working with clay is new to me. This is the first time I have sculpted a miniature using clay. So far it has interesting pros and cons relative to my old greenstuff. The pros are the nearly limitless work time. I feel much more free to put clay down and walk away knowing I can come back later and smooth it out. This is the main reason I chose clay for this project, I knew there would be large flesh areas that needed to be smoothed and that green stuff really isn't good for this application. 

Clay also differs from green stuff in that it isn't as sticky. This cuts both ways. On the one hand, it means it isn't constantly sticking to my tools and I don't have to frequently wet my tools to stop the sticking. On the other the clay doesn't adhere to the armature as well as the putty. This stickiness also seems to apply internally to the clay as well. If I have a ball of greenstuff and I cut it in half the cut will depress the entire ball in half. That is, instead of having two hemispheres I get to yam shaped globs. Clay, by contrast, gives a crisp clean cut. 

The clay also seems to blend easier but also not stick to itself. That is, two greenstuff globs that touch will stick to each other, but if you try and blend them to might still end up with a weld line between them. Whereas with clay two balls won't stick together just by touching, but they have be blended so there is no weld line.

male giant with clay. 
This giant isn't nearly complete. I mostly just globbed on clay to get the general gesture of the pose filled out. Lots more to do. Next the model needs to be slimmed down and filled out in other places to get the general physique right. The giant is going to be a proper old school giant so that means lanky and gangly. Thinner arms. Knobbly knees. Sagging gut. Detailing on the hands....... lots to do!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! a female giant too. Interesting thoughts on you using clay for the giants. I'm sure they will look terrific when completed.

    Thanks for sharing your work.

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete