Pages

Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2020

Villagers 02

I had to take a few days out of town last week. But I am back at it this week. Today we have a quick update on the villager gnomes.

First up, we have a knitting gnome. She makes the hats. I tried to make her hair match the hair of the elder female wizard so that the miniatures across the range have more continuity. 

This is an old man gnome. He's got a long beard, a knobbly cane, and grumpy disposition. 

Goatherd coming along. I'm thinking of giving her a Chullo styled gnome hat. 

This is the mushroom farmer. I am not very happy with how she is turning out. Maybe she will come together in the end :/ It's hard to say when they don't have noses and look like aliens. 

Cobbler is hobbling along. 

Beggar. He's got a bit of work left to do.

I'm not happy with the juggler so far. Maybe he will come together in the end But right now I'm not liking where he's going. 

This one is going to be a fisherman. I am very happy with how he is coming out. His toes are very good. Soon he will get a fishing rod and maybe some other fishing knicknacks. 


This is a little boy gnome. He is holding a water bucket as if trying to help out around the village or camp. I am pleased with how he is turning out. Also! Look how small he is! 

This is a little girl gnome. She is posed as if running. I am also happy with how she is turning out. She isn't quite as small as the boy, but she is certainly diminutive. 


4 comments:

  1. Helen here Byron. Wow, this set will look great when completed. I can see some lovely vignettes occurring using some of these miniatures. Well done to you and thanks for sculpting the range so far. I look forward to additional gnome KS in the future.

    Best wishes,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am honest the villagers was the set I was least interested in initially, as I was looking to expand a wargaming army. But these guys (even as work in progress) are irresistibly charming! I am particularly pleased by the hat knitter! Great job.

    I might need a smaller brush for the children though!

    Just one (tongue-in-cheek!) point: Given the collective nature of Gnome society, how does the beggar fit in? Is he an outcast? Has he come from elsewhere? How did he end up in that situation?

    JeeEff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike. I've been thinking the same thing about the beggar myself. He does break the canon a bit. Inspiration came from the classic fantasy villager sets produced in the 80's. Most of them included some kind of beggar or vagabond model. So it seemed like an essential pose to go along with OS minis core mission of making homages to the 80's period. Beyond that, you are right that it doesn't quite fit with their guild-democracy society. Maybe some people get banished from guilds and fall in the cracks? ... got some retconning to do :P

      The children are very small. The boy with the bucket is less than 8mm tall! He will be a dickens to paint. The animal motif shields are hard enough.

      Delete