Pages

Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The Eternal Stillmania -introduction

 I have embarked on a long multi-year project. (I actually started this project a bit ago, but I haven't had time to put it to words)

I call this project the Eternal Stillmania!

Background

As some folks may be aware, Stillmania refers to the philosophy/challenge of Nigel Stillman. Famously, (at least among a small number of herohammer nerds) Stillman shared his thoughts on collecting warhammer armies and playing games of warhammer. Collectively, these thoughts are referred to as Stillmania. The tenets of Stillmania are summarized here:


Look here for a more in depth discussion of Stillmania. What I am principally concerned with, right now, are his thoughts on collecting an army. The crux of the idea is that you collect an army and you stick to it. 

Helblitzen of Gusseldorf - halberdiers for my 1000 pt Empire army - using minis I sculpted as proxies

"Okay, but what is Eternal Stillmania?" I hear you ask.

My project is to collect warhammer armies that are compatible with many different editions of warhammer. Each must meet the following conditions:
  1. the army must be compatible with 3rd, Warhammer Armies 4th ed, the Warhammer army books for 4th/5th edition, Ravening Hordes 6th edition, as well as the 6th edition army books. (I imagine others who might take up the mantle of the Eternal Stillmania, might choose their own combination of editions)
  2. the army must be at least 1000 points in each edition (including magic items)
Exceptions
  1. the army cannot have more than 1 unit that is incompatible with a given edition
  2. I don't strictly follow the Warhammer Armies 3rd ed troop requirements - for example, bare minimum Orcs and Goblins must have 20 gobbos, 20 stikkas, 20 arrer boyz, and 20 boyz. Not gonna happen.  
One day, I'd like to host an Eternal Stillmania tournament where people show up with a small 1000 point army compatible with at least 4 of the 8 editions, and with each pairing, the players would roll to see which edition of rules they would play with their army. 

Clanrats for the 1000 pt Skaven army

I see .... but why are you doing this to yourself?

Two big reasons. Warhammer fantasy players are few and far between. Most of my friends that I play with don't have their own armies. This means that I have to provide armies if a game is to happen. Secondly, the broad compatibility of the armies means that I can play a game in any edition that I might want to. The goal is having smallish armies on hand for battling, not necessarily to be quite as rigid and only playing each army as a unique and particular list. 

Two more reasons. Also, it's fun to collect different armies and move on, instead of wallowing in a single army for years. These one-off armies let me paint them up over a year and move my attention before I get too bored. Finally, each edition has different army selection criteria. Taken on their own, these criteria can be used to make unbalanced armies, combined this is much harder to do. Each edition tends to add or take away certain units, and it's typically the more extreme elements that are added or removed, so the armies that result tend to be pretty low-fantasy which is an aesthetic that I enjoy. 

Phoenix Guard for the 1000 pt High Elf army 


🤦... so what's your plan, then?

Thus far I have done
  • High Elves
  • Dark Elves
  • Skaven
  • Empire (not quite, still a WiP, my general on griffon doesn't jibe with 3rd and 6th editions, so I have to make up this difference)
  • Orcs and Goblins (I have like 3000 points of these, but they weren't made for this project so I'm not sure if I should count them or not)
  • Gnomes (I have like 3000 points of these, but they weren't made for this project so I'm not sure if I should count them or not)
Kin'Lath's Slashers - Dark Elf Warriors for my 1000 pt Dark elf army.



I have concretish plans to do the following
  • Wood Elves
  • Bretonnia
  • Lizardmen ("those don't even work for 3rd/4th edition ðŸ™„!"... I know, but I have the 5th ed starter box and a slann mage, so I'm using what I've got))
  • Tomb Kings (Undead that fit 6th ed tomb kings criteria)
Less concrete plans
  • Vampire Counts
  • Chaos (I genuinely need help with this one)
  • Chaos Dwarves? (long hats?)
  • Savage Orcs
  • Night Goblins
  • Dwarves
  • Heroquest Army of Zargon??? (this is more of a situation where I'd have to make rules for the army that would be compatible with each edition)
  • What else am I forgetting?


This is my own personal hobby project, it does not connote any support, endorsement, or officiality by Mr. Stillman or GamesWorkshop. Used without permission. No challenge to their status or rights intended. All rights reserved to their respective owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment